Don’t let an underage DUI derail your future. Get help from the DUI defense experts at Chambers Law Firm.
California has a Zero Tolerance policy for underage drinking and driving, meaning it is illegal for anyone under age 21 to drive with even the smallest detectable amount of alcohol in their system.
Types of Underage DUI
Depending on the amount of alcohol that is found, an underage driver will be charged under different laws and face different penalties:
- BAC of .01 or more: Charged as a DMV violation, punished with mandatory 1 year license suspension
- BAC of .05 or more: Charged as an infraction, punished with a license suspension plus $100 in fines and the possibility of an alcohol education program
- BAC of .08 or more: Charged as a misdemeanor, punished with a license suspension plus $390 to $1,000 in fines, an alcohol education program, up to 6 months in jail, and 3 to 5 years of probation
If your BAC is .08 or more, you can actually be charged with violations of all these underage DUI laws. The good news is, the incident will still only count as one DUI conviction on your record.
Why You Need to Fight an Underage DUI
As if the various DMV and criminal penalties weren’t punishment enough, having an underage DUI on your record can also cause serious repercussions for your future. Misdemeanor underage DUI convictions must be reported on college and employment applications, and they could easily result in you being denied important opportunities.
Chambers Law Firm Can Help
If you have been charged with an underage DUI of any kind, it is definitely in your best interests to contact an experienced DUI defense attorney from Chambers Law Firm right away. We will explore every option for your defense, including the possibility that:
- Your traffic stop was unlawful
- The breathalyzer equipment was faulty
- You had alcohol on your breath for an innocent reason such as:
- A medical condition
- Use of mouthwash
- Fasting or dietary restrictions
Even if it is not possible to prove that you were free of alcohol, we can still help secure a favorable outcome to your case by negotiating with the DA to have any misdemeanor underage DUI charges reduced to less prejudicial infractions that will not appear on your criminal record.
Call Now to Protect Your Future
If you would like to learn more about your options in your specific case, contact us at 855-397-0210 and request a free initial consultation with your underage DUI defense attorney.